Sunday, October 26, 2008

Smokers stand up for your right of personal choice.

The present trend to ban smokers from all the office areas, campuses and in public areas is infringing on the right of one's personal choice. This has taken to alarming proportions. Who are they to decide where I should smoke and where I should not. When the government permits cigarettes to be sold, then they should allow us to smoke as well. I am a very responsible smoker, smoking only in private and in places where I do not disturb people and put off my cigarette when finished.

This is a global phenomenon. The facts and figures are all fabricated, blown out of propositions and magnified. There are no real surveys and do not have conclusive results. The trend of the lobbyists and activism is come to India. You will find one day, the same hypocritical zealot Bambodoss will say ban the booze as well, which he has already recommended to the government of Tamil Nadu.

The govt. should issue clear instructions where a person can smoke and where he should not smoke. Clearly demarcate the smoking areas. Provide a space for smokers in huge office complexes and public area. We have our rights and we are not to be treated as some sort of untouchables.

If someone comes up to me and say don't smoke here, I will say "fuck off" and I am waiting for a fine day for this to happen and I will take this fight to every extent possible. FYI, it did happen and I gave my knowledge of the smoking ban to the police inspector, he just walked away.

Before leaving this subject of propaganda, mention should be made of the oft-repeated canard that smoking imposes costs upon society, which must be paid by non-smokers...

Bullshit!

I say fuck off to everyone who tries to impose this ban on me, even to that Bambodoss who has no clue of the primary health care is in doldrums in India. Go to my village PHC, there is no doctor and the other staff whiling away their time and turning off anyone coming there say there is no doctor for the past nine months.

Hey, they say we are polluting the environment, have you gone to one of the traffic signals in Chennai, you will get choked. The government is doing nothing to check the pollution in the vehicles, the sound pollution has reached alarming proportions.

And how successful has the government has been in implementing any ban, they are hopeless bunch of jokers and have no clue how to run this country and their priorities lie in winning the next election and they will do any shit to achieve that goal.

This country is not friendly to the pedestrians, the disabled, the differently abled and the list goes on and on and on...

Aping the west is not going to solve any problem faced by the common people. Hey Mr Anbumani Ramdoss get real and come in terms with realty. I know you are a doctor from a prestigious college and put in rural service and things like that and I do respect you for that. I feel that is where it ends. Nothing can be achieved by creating any sort of propaganda, do a good job and you will be recognised and not by picking up fights with seasoned doctors who have seen the stark realities of governing a public institution and by picking up on an innocent bidi smoker who has to pay a fine of more that 2000% of the cost of a bidi, when he violates the ban.

Get real and do not ape the west.

0 comments: